Recipe by rsarahl
Vegetarian sushi. It's heart healthy, fun to make and tasty too! For a little extra flavor, use marinated baked tofu instead of plain. Either way, have a little soy sauce on hand for dipping... or indulge with tasty plum sauce or hoisin sauce... it's up to you!
Top Review by Mirj
This has just changed the way I am going to make sushi forever! I usually make vegetarian tofu, with either avocado or omelette as the centerpiece instead of fish, but I never thought to use tofu before. It's outstanding! I bought some already baked tofu in a Chinese 5 spice sauce, and it really gave the sushi a unique flavor. I sliced it really thin, to help with the rolling but also to disguise it, there are people who are willing to eat raw fish but go nuts at some cooked tofu. I can't wait to make this for all my sushi-loving friends!
- 6 sheets nori
- 4 1⁄2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, drained
- 2 carrots, cut into 12 thin strips
- 1 1⁄2 medium avocados, cut into 12 one-quarter inch thick slices
- 6 green onion tops, about 7 inches in length
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 12 thin strips (7-inch)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the tofu and slice in half width wise and then slice each half in half so you have 4 short pieces.
- Holding your knife parallel to the cutting service, slice the tofu blocks in half.
- Take each piece and cut in half again to yield 32 short pieces of tofu.
- Cut off top quarter of each nori sheet along short end.
- Place one sheet of nori with the shiny side down on a sushi mat.
- The long end should be toward you.
- Moisten your hands and mold 3/4 cup rice in a tube like line over nori, leaving a 1-inch border on one long end of the sheet.
- Place 2-3 pieces of tofu, 2 carrot strips, 2 slices avocado, 1 green onion top, and 2 cucumber strips along top third of the rice-covered nori sheet.
- Lift the edge of the nori closest to you and fold it over the filling.
- Now lift the bottom edge of the sushi mat and begin to roll toward the top edge.
- You need to press firmly on the roll to keep it tight.
- Continue rolling to the top edge and press the mat at the top to seal the roll.
- Let the roll rest for 5 minutes with the seam side down.
- Repeat the procedure until all 6 sheets of nori are filled and rolled.
- Slice each roll into 8 pieces and serve.
- Note: Save any extra tofu pieces for another batch of avocado rolls or use in a salad or fry them up and serve as a crispy treat.