Recipe by Lene
These tasty parcel of hot and spicy stir fried tofu wrapped in cool crisp lettuce leaves provides the perfect combination for a mouth watering treat. Use marinated tofu pieces, as they have a good flavour to begin with and act like sponges, soaking up all those wonderful flavours.
Top Review by VegChica
I haven't had much luck with this recipe, although I've been dying to make it since I'm craving the tofu lettuce wraps from P.F. Changs. The first time I made it I must have used the wrong type of red chilis, because it turned out horribly hot and I my hands burned for the next two days just from chopping them. I tried again (luckily my boyfriend was willing to try these again even after I burnt his mouth! he must like me or something) and they were not so hot but the flavor wasn't quite right and the tofu was soggy. Any suggestions?
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 3 tablespoons clear honey
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine
- 5 cm piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and finely grated
- 2 red chilies, seeded and thinly sliced
- 300 g tofu, pieces
- 1 small iceberg lettuce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1⁄2 small cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 200 g bean sprouts
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the soy sauce, chinese five spice powder, honey, sherry, ginger, chillies and tofu. Toss well and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove 4 outer leaves from the lettuce. Rinse in cold water, shake off any excess and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in the wok. Lift the tofu out of the marinade and stir fry over a high heat for 2 minutes. Add the carrots and stir fry for a further 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir inn the cucumber, been sprouts and coriander, Put the lettuce leaves on 4 plates and divide the tofu mixture between them. Wrap each leaf around the filling and serve immediately with extra soy sauce.