Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
These tasty parcel of hot and spicy stir fried tofu wrapped in cool crisp lettuce leaves provides the perfect combination for a mouth watering treat. Use marinated tofu pieces, as they have a good flavour to begin with and act like sponges, soaking up all those wonderful flavours.
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 3 tablespoons clear honey
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine
- 5 cm piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and finely grated
- 2 red chilies, seeded and thinly sliced
- 300 g tofu, pieces
- 1 small iceberg lettuce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1⁄2 small cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 200 g bean sprouts
- Mix together the soy sauce, chinese five spice powder, honey, sherry, ginger, chillies and tofu. Toss well and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove 4 outer leaves from the lettuce. Rinse in cold water, shake off any excess and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in the wok. Lift the tofu out of the marinade and stir fry over a high heat for 2 minutes. Add the carrots and stir fry for a further 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir inn the cucumber, been sprouts and coriander, Put the lettuce leaves on 4 plates and divide the tofu mixture between them. Wrap each leaf around the filling and serve immediately with extra soy sauce.
I haven't had much luck with this recipe, although I've been dying to make it since I'm craving the tofu lettuce wraps from P.F. Changs. The first time I made it I must have used the wrong type of red chilis, because it turned out horribly hot and I my hands burned for the next two days just from chopping them. I tried again (luckily my boyfriend was willing to try these again even after I burnt his mouth! he must like me or something) and they were not so hot but the flavor wasn't quite right and the tofu was soggy. Any suggestions?
Great dish absolutely a must do. I used the jarred picked ginger root and added more pepper paste. You deserve a good rating here.