This is a yummy vegetarian, lo-carb, lo-cal dish! It is really great for freezing in individual portions to take to work for lunch. I got the original recipe from CeeCee526 on Recipezaar but I've made a number of changes -- so I'm posting it as my own. Hope you Enjoy!!
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu (press out liquid & slice very thinly)
- 1⁄2 cup textured vegetable protein (texturized vegetable protein)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth (from boullion)
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1 jar pasta sauce (I use Prego mushroom)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Molly McButter (approx 2 shakes) (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 8 ounces fat-free cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- dried chipotle powder (McCormick Brand) (optional)
- salt & pepper
- Press tofu under heavy weight for approx.
- 1 hour to remove the liquid-- will make thinly slicing much easier.
- Reconstitute TVP w/ hot vege broth-- let stand for 3-5 minutes then saute in olive oil in sauce pan to lightly brown.
- Add jar sauce to TVP and add fennel (for a hint of sausage flavoring).
- In seperate pan, saute spinach& mushrooms in oil-- add garlic, parsley, Molly McButter& salt/pepper.
- In a food processor, puree cottage cheese w/ egg substitute.
- Add sauted vegetables& process just to combine.
- Slice tofu thinly for use as"lasagna noodles".
- Start w/ a layer of sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- Layer tofu slices (season each layer of tofu w/ salt, pepper& chipotle), vegetable/cheese mixture, more sauce and then grated mozarella.
- You should get about three layers-- end w/ mozarella on top Bake, covered at 350 for 45 minutes.