Recipe by webcontacts
From Vegetarian Times Issue - Serve these kabobs with warmed hot-dog rolls to soak up all the tangy sauce. If you’re using wooden skewers, be sure to pre-soak them 30 minutes in cold water to keep them from burning.
Top Review by Chef h&h
Fabulous! Even though I made some last minute changes. I added an extra shallot because the one I had was quite t small. I did not have the cherry preserves handy so I added blue berry preserves. I did not add ground coriander but minced fresh cilantro. The dish looked so beautiful! Thank you for this great recipe I will make it again! (Great tip on how to dry the tofu)
- 2 (16 ounce) packages extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup cherry preserves
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 8 hot dog buns (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place tofu on paper towels, and cover with another layer of towels. Set dinner plate on top, and put 2 cans on plate. Let stand 15 minutes, then pat tofu dry.
- Whisk together juice and cornstarch in bowl. Warm 1/2 Tbs. oil in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add shallot and sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Stir in preserves, ketchup, vinegar, cayenne, coriander and orange juice mixture, and bring to a boil. Simmer 10 to 12 minutes, or until sauce is glossy, stirring frequently. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Brush grill rack with oil, and preheat grill. Thread tofu cubes on skewers. Brush tofu with remaining oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill kabobs 6 to 8 minutes, or until cubes are browned, turning occasionally.
- Transfer to serving platter, and brush with sauce. Serve with remaining barbecue sauce on the side.