Prep 24 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is loosely based from one provided by Rebar Restaurant in Victoria, BC. I haven't been there, or tried this yet, but the cookbook receives RAVE reviews on amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/Rebar-Modern-Cookbook-Audrey-Alsterburg/dp/0968862306/sr=1-1/qid=1159824168/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-6607531-9980102?ie=UTF8&s=books
- 16 ounces firm tofu
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 lime, zest of
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- Cut tofu into slices 2"long by 1/2" wide.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small pot and bring to to a boil.
- Simmer for 5 min, remove from heat and pour over tofu. Marinade in glass bowl for several hours or preferably overnight.
- Pour off marinade and bake tofu slices for 15 minutes in 350 degree oven, basting with remaining marinade each five minutes.
- Serve over rice, or mix with noodles and remaining marinade.
I love this recipe - it's easy and fast (assemble in the morning) but tastes very complex. Even tastes good the next day, if there is any left over!
We liked this quite a bit. I love the flavor of the chili lime marinade- yum! Super spicy and tangy. I also had a problem with the consistency of the marinade, however. It was more of a paste which is problematic with tofu because tofu really relies on marinade to get into it for the flavor. It really needed more liquid in there- maybe 1/4 cup of orange juice? I'm not sure. I am wondering what the original recipe says, as there was no extra sauce to pour off of anything or to baste the tofu with. Anyway, the taste is there and I will make this again with some additional liquid. I can see this in burritos and taco salad and so much more. Thanks for posting!
this was horrible. it has so many good things in it but it just tasted like nothing. for some reason it did not get into the tofu. it just sat on the outside and dried up in the oven. this is my first review and i've been using the sie for a long time. i just had to let others know how bad this was. it was a waste of good ingredients.