Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Adapted from Meena Pathak's Indian cooking, we replaced the chicken with tofu for a great vegetarian dish.
- 100 g sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 cloves
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 350 g firm tofu
- 50 ml light cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Soak the flaked almonds in warm water for a couple hours.
- Drain and process almonds in a food processor into a fine puree.
- Heat the oil in a pan, adding cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom pods, minced garlic, ground turmeric and bay leaves.
- When spices begin to crackle, add chopped onions and fry for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the tofu (in 3-4 cm cubes) and continue to fry, stirring continuously.
- Stir in the almond puree.
- Cook over low to medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the light cream, ground cardamom and garam masala.
- Add sugar and salt to taste, cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Garnish with almond flakes and cilantro.
Sorry, but we didn't like at all - not much more I can say but interested to hear what others think.