1/1 Photo of Tofu Hoisin With Bok Choy
1 hr 15 mins
Anne Sainz's Note:
This is based on a recipe from “Wild About Greens” by Nava Atlas with some changes so it better fits our Nutritarian eating style. It’s colorful and delicious. It takes a little longer to prepare than some of my other recipes but it’s worth the extra time. You can reduce prep time by using frozen vegetables…..To chop bok choy: Trim the rough edge off the root ends of the bok choy, then cut across the stem just below the leaf. Slice the white stem portion into 3 or 4 lengthwise strips, then cut across to dice. Slice the leafy top crosswise and then cut each strip into 1 inch pieces…..Pressing tofu: Cut it into 1/2 inch slices. Lay the slices out on a clean kitchen towel that has been folded in half or a couple of layers of paper towel. Fold the kitchen towel over the tofu slices or place additional paper towels on top. Cover with a small cutting board and place 6 to 8 cans on top to weight it down. Let tofu sit 30 minutes before cutting it into 1/2 inch cubes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu
- 16 ounces bok choy, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 mushrooms, cut in half and sliced
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice, preferably fresh
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon oil (to coat pan)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1Slice tofu, then press. See Anne Sainz notes above for more detailed instructions.
- 2While tofu is being pressed, chop bok choy and set aside. If you haven’t worked with bok choy before, see Anne Sainz notes above.
- 3Prepare ginger, carrots, onion and mushrooms. Combine and set aside.
- 4For sauce, combine hoisin sauce, orange juice and soy sauce and set aside.
- 5Cut pressed tofu into 1/2 inch cubes.
- 6Coat large covered non-stick frying pan or Dutch oven (at least 5 quarts) with oil and add cubed tofu. Saute with medium high heat until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from pan and set aside.
- 7Add ginger, carrots, onion and mushrooms to pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, adding small amounts of water as needed to prevent sticking. Continue cooking until carrots just begin to soften.
- 8Add bok choy and sauté until bok choy begins to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 9Add tofu, sauce mixture and almonds. Cook a minute or two longer until heated through, stirring frequently.
Browse Our Top Bok Choys Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bok Choys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tofu Hoisin With Bok Choy
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.7
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.4 mg
- Sodium 513.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 15.5 g