Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Greek gyros, traditionally made from lamb, receive a makeover in tofu! These are a favorite in our house. So easy and a great combination of flavors. Though I love the cucumber sauce, plain yogurt would do. (Actually pronounced "year-oh" :-) ) Also good leftover for a lunch box, just wrap the assembled sandwich in wax paper.
For the tofu
- 1⁄2 lb extra firm tofu (slightly more than 1/2 a 450 g. package)
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
For the cucumber sauce
- 1⁄2 cup firm silken tofu
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, chopped & peeled
- 2 teaspoons flax seed oil or 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (or less)
- 2 -3 pinches ground black pepper
- 6 -8 whole wheat pita bread (8 inch)
- 3 cups romaine lettuce, finely torn
- 2 -3 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced or 1 onion, thinly sliced
- Note: You can make the tofu strips chewier by freezing the tofu overnight and letting it thaw in the fridge. Be warned, thawing takes a couple of days. It will be different but definitely yummy either way.
- Cut the tofu into 8 slices. Lay on a clean dishtowel and fold the other half of the towel over top, pressing gently to extract excess moisture. Then cut each slice in half lengthwise.
- Mix the marinade ingredients (tamari to garlic) together.
- Spread the tofu in a wide, shallow container and pour the marinade over. Use a fork to flip the slices around till all are evenly coated. They will soak up most of the marinade. Let sit, covered in the fridge, at least one hour or overnight.
- To make the cucumber sauce, combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until fairly smooth, but still chunky. Adjust salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
- A few minutes before serving, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium. When hot, add the tofu strips, letting them get golden-brown before turning. This doesn't take very long!
- To serve: place 2 or 3 tofu strips across the middle of a pita, top with salad fixings, and add cucumber sauce to taste. Fold pita in half around the filling, pick up and eat like a taco!
- Bon Appetit!
I really liked these but hubby wasn't a fan so I have given it a four. I adored the cucumber sauce and I can see myself using it for lots of things! Thank you for a lovely recipe! Made for the Greek leg of ZWT6 (Voracious Vegebonds)
i forgot the scallions...but, these were so good, even without them. i haven't tried it as a leftover yet, but, i'll be bringing it with me to work tomorrow. my sister is going to try the same thing, but using chicken in place of the tofu, since she's not a big tofu lover
It had a very odd taste.