1/3 Photos of Tofu Gyros
1 hr 30 mins
White Rose Child's Note:
Greek gyros, traditionally made from lamb, receive a makeover in tofu! These are a favorite in our house. So easy and a great combination of flavors. Though I love the cucumber sauce, plain yogurt would do. (Actually pronounced "year-oh" :-) ) Also good leftover for a lunch box, just wrap the assembled sandwich in wax paper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the tofu
- 1/2 lb extra firm tofu (slightly more than 1/2 a 450 g. package)
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
For the cucumber sauce
- 1/2 cup firm silken tofu
- 1/2 cup cucumber, chopped & peeled
- 2 teaspoons flax seed oil or 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (or less)
- 2 -3 pinches ground black pepper
- 1Note: You can make the tofu strips chewier by freezing the tofu overnight and letting it thaw in the fridge. Be warned, thawing takes a couple of days. It will be different but definitely yummy either way.
- 2Cut the tofu into 8 slices. Lay on a clean dishtowel and fold the other half of the towel over top, pressing gently to extract excess moisture. Then cut each slice in half lengthwise.
- 3Mix the marinade ingredients (tamari to garlic) together.
- 4Spread the tofu in a wide, shallow container and pour the marinade over. Use a fork to flip the slices around till all are evenly coated. They will soak up most of the marinade. Let sit, covered in the fridge, at least one hour or overnight.
- 5To make the cucumber sauce, combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until fairly smooth, but still chunky. Adjust salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
- 6A few minutes before serving, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium. When hot, add the tofu strips, letting them get golden-brown before turning. This doesn't take very long!
- 7To serve: place 2 or 3 tofu strips across the middle of a pita, top with salad fixings, and add cucumber sauce to taste. Fold pita in half around the filling, pick up and eat like a taco!
- 8Bon Appetit!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tofu Gyros
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 455.0
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1466.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 21.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
firm silken tofu