Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Lovely way to serve tofu. I like to use both the garlic and the peppers to spice up the dish. Tofu really has no flavor on it's own but it picks up any flavor that it is mixed with. I also often use a spicy Szechuan sauce instead of the soy..This is great served with brown or white rice and other stir fried veggies, you may even add some additional veggies to the tofu pan for last minute cooking - the veggies must be left crisp. The time noted does not include the hour needed to drain the tofu
- 1 (1 lb) package extra firm tofu, cut into 3/4 inch squares
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup green onion, slice into 1 inch pieces using only a little of the green part,chop some of the green tops for garni
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped (optional)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Unwrap the tofu and place chopped tofu on paper towels to help it drain more, leave it for apprx 1 hour When the tofu has drained heat the oil in a wok or skillet and over medium heat stir fry the tofu and garlic (if using) until heated through and lightly browned Add the green onions and peppers (if using).
- stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add veggie stock and continue cooking until it is reduced by half only takes a minute.
- Add soy sauce, turn off heat and mix well.
- Season to taste.
- Garnish with green onion tops& serve.
I really liked this recipe. It was quick and easy and tasted great. I used a but more garlic than it called for, but then again, I always do. The leftovers reheated quite nicely
This recipe was easy to make and delicious. It really tastes like something you could order at a Chinese restaurant. We had it over rice... I think brown rice would be even better.