1/2 Photos of Tofu General Tso's
5 hrs 35 mins
I love General Tso's Sauce and have always wanted a vegetarian version, so here it is! Not only is it lighter than the chicken version but it tastes amazing and even meat eaters are sure to love it! Try your local Asian store for the rice wine and vinegar. I love to serve this with brown rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) container extra firm tofu
- 2 eggs, beaten (or egg replacer to make it Vegan)
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch, for sauce
- 1/2 cup cornstarch, for breading
- 5 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 6 1/2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 cup oil (for frying)
- chili oil
- 1Take tofu out of liquid it came in and chop into 1 inch cubes, press these between two towels to take out the moisture and dry them.
- 2Mix rice vinegar, rice wine, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, 2 Tbsp Sesame oil, and chili oil to taste. Add to this the cubes of tofu, cover and let marinate in refrigerator at least 4 hours, preferably over night.
- 3Next, remove the tofu from the marinade. Try to remove as much outer moisture from them as you can. Set them aside.
- 4Take the marinade and add to it the 5 tsp Cornstarch and 1/2 cup sugar. Then whisk it together.
- 5In a large sauce pan bring the marinade (now General Tso's Sauce) to boiling over medium low heat. It should be thick when done. Then remove from heat.
- 6Beat two eggs, and immerse the tofu in them, covering all sides with egg. Then remove the tofu and place it on a paper towel. Then toss the tofu in the 1/2 cup cornstarch to lightly cover each side. Shake off the excess.
- 7Heat 1/2 cup oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Then place in the tofu, turn it during cooking so that each side gets browned.
- 8When all sides are browned, place the tofu on a paper towel to get rid of excess oil. Then add the tofu into the sauce and heat over low for 3-5 minutes until everything is heated through.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tofu General Tso's
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 871.3
- Calories from Fat 495
- Total Fat 55.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 124.0 mg
- Sodium 2751.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 35.2 g
- Protein 22.5 g