Recipe by LonghornMama
A superfast and healthy recipe, one of the greatest hits from the Sept 2004 issue of Cooking Light. The flavors are very mild and the dish is a good way to add some tofu to your diet. I've also made this with lean boneless pork or chicken. I think instant rice is an abomination so I take a little extra time to make the real thing.
Top Review by JessieGeorges
I'll admit, I am a foodie and modified this recipe quite a bit after reading previous reviews, but it was DELICIOUS so I wanted to share. I used about 1 1/2 cups of basmati rice. I used 2 tsps of fresh minced garlic and 1 tsp of fresh minced ginger because fresh is always better! I also added 2 chopped poblano peppers and 1 chopped red bell pepper when I sautéed the vegetables. I also substituted canola oil for vegetable oil and omitted the sesame oil. I used regular tofu, not low-fat, and it took quite a bit longer to brown. The end result was delicious and much healthier than traditional fried rice!
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (14 ounce) package reduced-fat firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup green onion, in 1/2 inch slices
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrot, thawed
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons sake (rice wine) or 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- thinly sliced green onion (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- While rice cooks, heat 1 T vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add tofu; cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from pan.
- Add eggs to pan; cook 1 minute or until done, breaking eggs into small pieces.
- Remove from pan.
- Add 1 T vegetable oil to pan.
- Add 1 c onions, peas and carrots, garlic and ginger; saute 2 minutes.
- While vegetable mixture cooks, combine sake, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and sesame oil.
- Add cooked rice to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add tofu, egg and soy sauce mixture; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Garnish with sliced green onions if desired.