Prep 4 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Yummy vegetarian version of childhood favorite fish sticks and sauce
- 1 package herb tofu or 1 package tofu
- 1 tablespoon kelp powder
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup Braggs Aminos
- 1 tablespoon vegit seasoning or 1 tablespoon spike seasoning
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup soy mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1⁄2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle juice
- Cut tofu into long but thin strips.
- Marinate in water, Braggs, vegit and kelp powder (gives it the"seafood" taste).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and use olive oil to coat pan.
- Coat marinated tofu sticks in cornmeal.
- Put sticks in oven.
- After 10 minutes, turn over and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Take pan out of oven and let cool.
- Combine ingredients for dipping sauce and enjoy!
- It's a megahit with small picky children.
Wow these are epic! Even though I know better with tofu, I ate way too much, I couldn't help myself. My kids loved them too, though they've never had fish sticks so not much to compare to. One thing I did want to mention, I would recommend against using olive oil. It has a low smoke point (around 325), and since you're putting these into a fast oven you'll want to use something with a higher smoke point, otherwise the olive oil will break down into trans fats and you will lose all of the health benefits. Served with our favorite tartar sauce recipe, Tartar Sauce That Makes You Scream... Oh Yes!. Thanks so much for this, it's definitely a keeper!
I loved these, just made them for lunch. I only needed one cup of cornmeal to cover them. I will pass this recipe along the way to my other vegan pals. Thank you!!!
These were good, i used firm tofu, and i don't know what vegit is, so i just added some salt and pepper to the mixture. Also, i used much less oil.