Recipe by Sanut Tarrer
Yummy vegetarian version of childhood favorite fish sticks and sauce
Top Review by Three Kids Make Me Crazy
Wow these are epic! Even though I know better with tofu, I ate way too much, I couldn't help myself. My kids loved them too, though they've never had fish sticks so not much to compare to. One thing I did want to mention, I would recommend against using olive oil. It has a low smoke point (around 325), and since you're putting these into a fast oven you'll want to use something with a higher smoke point, otherwise the olive oil will break down into trans fats and you will lose all of the health benefits. Served with our favorite tartar sauce recipe, Recipe #170190. Thanks so much for this, it's definitely a keeper!
- 1 package herb tofu or 1 package tofu
- 1 tablespoon kelp powder
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup Braggs Aminos
- 1 tablespoon vegit seasoning or 1 tablespoon spike seasoning
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup soy mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1⁄2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tofu into long but thin strips.
- Marinate in water, Braggs, vegit and kelp powder (gives it the"seafood" taste).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and use olive oil to coat pan.
- Coat marinated tofu sticks in cornmeal.
- Put sticks in oven.
- After 10 minutes, turn over and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Take pan out of oven and let cool.
- Combine ingredients for dipping sauce and enjoy!
- It's a megahit with small picky children.