Super easy recipe that is great for vegetarians to join in a fish meal without looking like we're eating something too different. My fish-eating partner said it had a kind of white fish flavour that combined well with the crunchy coating.
- 500 g firm tofu
- 1 egg substitute, vegan egg replacer powder equivalent to 1 egg (or 1 tbsp arrowroot, 2 tbsp oil, 2 tbsp soy milk 1 tsp lecithin mix together till smooth)
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 59.14 ml wheat germ or 59.14 ml flax seed meal
- 59.14 ml polenta
- 29.58 ml nori, toasted and crumbled (seaweed)
- 1.23 ml paprika
- 1.23 ml dried herbs
- 4.92 ml lemon pepper
- 59.14 ml frying oil
- Cut the tofu into ½ cm thick slices. Wrap the slices in thick paper towels and pat to remove excess moisture.
- Beat the egg replacer and soy sauce together in a small bowl. Combine the wheat germ/flax meal, polenta, nori, paprika, and herbs on a plate.
- Heat the oil in a large frypan. Dip each slice of tofu into the egg replacer mixture, then coat both sides in the polenta mixture. Fry the slices until golden brown on both sides. Place on absorbent paper. Sprinkle with extra lemon pepper and serve with tartare sauce.