Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Thanks to Dr. Weil for this recipe. For a quick and exciting meal, this healthful version of a popular Mexican dish is hard to beat. The baked tofu neatly replaces beef and, along with olive oil, provides good fat. Nonfat whole-wheat tortillas make very good fajitas. They have none of the hydrogenated fat of conventional white-flour tortillas and give you some fiber.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- 1 green pepper, such as ancho,anaheim,or bell,seeded and julienned
- 1 hot pepper, such as jalapeno or serrano,seeded and minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms, such as crimini or portobello
- 2 cups sliced pressed baked tofu (preferably savory or hickory-smoked flavor)
- 6 nonfat whole wheat tortillas, warmed
- low-fat sour cream (optional)
- chopped fresh tomato
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and then add the onions.
- Sauté, stirring, until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the peppers and mushrooms and sauté until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tofu and stir-fry for 5 minutes more.
- Season with salt to taste and serve in the tortillas.
- Top the fajitas with low-fat sour cream, salsa, chopped fresh tomatoes, avocado, scallions, or a combination of these.
I had never eaten baked tofu before - it was great in this recipe. I used an 8 ounce package of savory flavored tofu and garnished the tortillas with non-fat plain yogurt, tomatoes, avocados and green onions. This recipe goes together in a snap and was well received by my family!
YUM. Delightful. =)Used plain baked tofu; still tastes great. Oh wait, I added some chili powder too, which I only recommend if you really like hot stuff like I do. Thanks for the recipe, which I'll be sure to make again. =)
This is so quick and simple to make and tastes great. I used beech smoked tofu and all the flavours went really well together. I was a little worried about the lack of spices, but onece you add salsa to it, it's just great. I didn't have whole-wheat tortillas, so I just used regular ones.