Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A good eggless tofu salad that is great in sandwiches or on it's own in a lettuce cup. Trader Joe's sells a good vegan mayonnaise, or you could use a soy yogurt but it will be more tangy. The nutritional yeast gives it a cheesy flavor. Another great recipe from Just the Food.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 340.19 g package extra firm tofu (pressed, drained and cubed or crumbled)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced (1 cup)
- 59.14 ml nutritional yeast
- 1.23 ml turmeric
- 2.46 ml ground mustard
- 0.59 ml dill
- 0.59 ml paprika (smoked paprika is good too)
- 118.29 ml vegan mayonnaise (vegannaise)
- 14.79 ml yellow mustard (French's recommended or use whole grain mustard if you like)
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Place oil, onion and garlic in a skillet on medium high heat . Saute until fragrant, 3-5 minutes.
- Add tofu (cut into tiny little 1/4 inch cubes or crumbled) and saute 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Reduce heat add spices and nutritional yeast. Fold until well coated, remove from heat and let cool.
- Once cool, add mayonnaise and mustard. Mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Serve on sprouted grain bread, in a whole grain tortilla, or on a bed of greens. Makes enough filling for 8 wraps or sandwiches.
Really good! I actually had to find somewhere around here that carried nutritional yeast, which was more difficult than the recipe. Let this sit overnight to blend and had on sprouted grain bread. I like the umami type flavor the yeast gives this. The tofu salad I had before had a bit of a sweet taste so I might add a touch of sweetener to see if I can replicate that, but this is really good just following the recipe.
If you are familiar with Sharon123's recipes, you know that they often represent tasty, often nutritious choices with "depth". This is a good example. I have never had what I would call a good tofu cooking experience until this. But I wanted a veggie sandwich spread. And I'm already a fan of her "Gee Whiz Spread" so, of several Tofu Egg Salad recipes I added to my cook book, I decided to make this one first. And I have bought more tofu for the second batch. Again, the combo of nutritional yeast and herbs makes this a multidimensional taste that makes you look forward to the next bite. I recommend it.