Recipe by Sharon123
A good eggless tofu salad that is great in sandwiches or on it's own in a lettuce cup. Trader Joe's sells a good vegan mayonnaise, or you could use a soy yogurt but it will be more tangy. The nutritional yeast gives it a cheesy flavor. Another great recipe from Just the Food.
Top Review by Queen Roachie
Really good! I actually had to find somewhere around here that carried nutritional yeast, which was more difficult than the recipe. Let this sit overnight to blend and had on sprouted grain bread. I like the umami type flavor the yeast gives this. The tofu salad I had before had a bit of a sweet taste so I might add a touch of sweetener to see if I can replicate that, but this is really good just following the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (12 ounce) package extra firm tofu (pressed, drained and cubed or crumbled)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika (smoked paprika is good too)
- 1⁄2 cup vegan mayonnaise (vegannaise)
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard (French's recommended or use whole grain mustard if you like)
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place oil, onion and garlic in a skillet on medium high heat . Saute until fragrant, 3-5 minutes.
- Add tofu (cut into tiny little 1/4 inch cubes or crumbled) and saute 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Reduce heat add spices and nutritional yeast. Fold until well coated, remove from heat and let cool.
- Once cool, add mayonnaise and mustard. Mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Serve on sprouted grain bread, in a whole grain tortilla, or on a bed of greens. Makes enough filling for 8 wraps or sandwiches.