Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A variation on Ethiopian Dorowat made with tofu instead of chicken. For a complete Ethiopian feast, make this dish with (other recipes from my book): - Lentils of Doom - Cabbage of Ostracism - Beef Stew in Berbere Sauce Making these four dishes together, you can: - Pick up one lg white onion and chop it finely. Split it four ways between the dishes. - Pick up one 28-oz can of crushed tomatoes and split it between the Dorowat and Beef Stew Start the beef early, then the dorowat. Then, do the lentils (assuming pre-cooked potatoes) and cabbage. Pick up some Enjera (that amazing yummy bread). Live in Calgary? Pick it up fresh at Amy's Confectionary on 7th between 11AM and 5PM. YUMM!!!
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 teaspoon allspice
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 700 g extra firm tofu, cut into cubes
- Mix tomatos with paprika, 1/4 cup of wine, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and allspice in a bowl, set aside.
- Saute onions and garlic in a skillet with the oil.
- Add tomato sauce and tofu.
- Bring mixture to a boil, cover and simmer about 30 minutes.
- Uncover, add the other 1/4 cup of wine and simmer about 20 minutes.
I really want to give this 4 1/2 stars. I thought the spices were perfect, I did add a tsp of salt to give the flavors some more oomph. I will definitely make this again, it goes very well with the Lentils of Doom and Cabbage of Ostracism. Thank you for a wonderful meal!
Great flavor, though did cut down the cardamom to 1/4 tsp and used 1/4 tsp salt.
I thought this just had too much spice...it smelled great, but it tasted very dry and over-spiced. If all those flavors are neccesary (and I'm not certain they are) then they should be reduced to a sprinkle of each...a half teaspoon of cardamom...is A LOT. The one thing this was missing...was salt.