Recipe by Mmmm Tasty
This is a (vegetarian) variant of the Chicken Divan created by Louis Diat of the Ritz Hotel in New York during the '20s and '30s. It's delicious, different, and a complete meal.
Top Review by jennyblender
This is great! It has become a staple at our house! NOTE: THE RECIPE DOES NOT INCLUDE DIRECTIONS FOR WHERE THE MILK GOES. I BELIEVE IT GOES INTO THE ROUX...WHICH IS THE ONLY THING THAT REALLY MAKES SENSE. DON'T FORGET TO ADD THE MILK OR IT WON'T COME OUT VERY WELL! Anyway, we simplify the recipe by throwing in the broccoli with the tofu after it has been cooking for a little while and it saves the cleaning of another pot. Thanks for the recipe Mmmm Tasty, we just love it!!!
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 1 lb broccoli
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 lb cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Place rice evenly in a baking pan, about 12" by 8".
- Chop tofu into triangles or 1/2" cubes and saute in vegetable oil with the minced garlic.
- Steam or boil broccoli.
- Arrange tofu, garlic, and broccoli over the rice.
- For Sauce Divan, melt the butter in a small saucepan, then mix in the flour, creating a roux.
- Add the cheese, and stir until you get a smooth sauce, then stir in the curry powder.
- Pour the sauce over the rice, tofu, and broccoli.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour.