Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 mins
This is from the Nu'uanu Congregational Church's 1985 Centennial Cookbook.
- 1⁄2 cup mirin
- 1⁄4 cup mild soy sauce
- 1 (20 ounce) package firm tofu, drained
- garlic salt
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- oil (for frying)
- Bring mirin and soy sauce to a boil for dipping sauce. Set aside to cool.
- Cut tofu lengthwise into fourths. Drain on absorbent paper for 15 minutes. Sprinkle each slice with garlic salt and pepper. Cut each in half again lengthwise and into fourths crosswise.
- Dredge in flour, dip in eggs, and coat with panko.
- Heat 1 1/2 inches of oil in skillet. Fry tofu until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side; drain on paper.
- Serve warm with dipping sauce.