Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is from the Mori-Nu Tofu box.... very easy and non-veggies love it too! Cook time includes chilling time.
- 10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (See Note 1)
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) packages silken tofu or 2 (10 1/2 ounce) packagessilken firm tofu (See Note 2)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener of your choice; can use less, to taste)
- Note 1: vegans: use barley-malt-sweetened nondairy chocolate chips or use a really good vegan chocolate bar (like Rapunzel Organic Bittersweet) instead of some or all of the chips.
- Note 2: I use the Mori Nu brand of tofu for this (since it's from their box), but you can use any brand, just make sure it is the"silken" type and not regular.
- Melt choc chips in a double boiler over low heat or in microwave (if you know what you're doing).
- Put tofu, sweetener, and melted chocolate into a blender and process until very smooth.
- Pour into a serving bowl or bowls and refrigerate, covered, for at least a couple of hours.
- Cover this well, because it will pick up EVERY odor in your refrigerator otherwise.
VERY rich and chocolately and so easy! I found a similar recipe, called Medicinal Mousse Pie, medicinal because of all of the health benefits of tofu. Rather than maple syrup, it used 1/3 c sugar dissolved in 1 T water. Whirl the mixture in the food processor, put it in a chocolate cookie crust and top with berries, and no one will ever know this has tofu. Thanks, basia1, for posting! I look forward to trying some of your other recipes, too!
Terrific. Everybody loves it.
No one will ever guess that there is tofu in this dessert! I used Mori-Nu Silken Lite Firm Tofu and sugar free dark chocolate chips to produce a lower fat, lower carb version of this GREAT mousse. The modifications simply make the recipe more acceptable for diabetic and heart-wise diet concerns. I totally omitted the maple syrup as it was way too sweet for our tastes; a good dark chocolate makes for a rich a flavorful mousse that will certainly become a favorite. My toddler gobbled up a cup and was in heaven! (What a good way to sneak a little extra protein into the diet of a picky eater!)