Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 5 cups pinto beans, cooked
- 2 lbs frozen tofu
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce (tamari)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 large onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Cut tofu in bite-size pieces and freeze overnight. Thaw out the next day (about 1 hour). Mix soy sauce, tomato paste, corn oil, garlic powder and liquid and add thawed tofu; heat up in a skillet. In a separate skillet, saute green pepper, onions and garlic in oil until onions turn clear.
- Put all ingredients in a pot and simmer together.
- You may have to add more liquid.
- Cook 20 to 40 minutes.
I tried this was not overly impressed unless you are partial vegetarian
This was okay, I ended up adding more spice and some salsa with water for the extra liquid because it was a little bland and I used some black beans and red kidney beans instead of all pinto beans. I served this in tortilla bowls.
This was a great recipe. Freezing the tofu changed the texture (in a good way!) very slightly. The flavor combinations were great! I skipped the green pepper and used canned corn instead. I added the corn juice as the "extra liquid", and it mixed nicely with the other flavors. This was a great recipe. Thanks so much!