Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A vegan version of the classic Chicken A La King, this recipe uses tofu as the main ingredient. Delicious as a main meal and is liked by both vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. I've served this to my very "Meat and Potatoes" type parents and they both love it. My neice, who is normally a very picky eater, will gobble this up as well so it's good for kids too. :) Serve with a side of veggies or a nice salad and you have a delicious and healthful complete meal. ***note*** Feel free to adjust the amount of mushrooms and peas to your liking. Carrots go nicely in this dish is well, but it's optional so I left it out of the recipe.
- 1 (454 g) package firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup button mushroom, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 3 -4 tablespoons flour or 3 -4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup soymilk (or regular milk if not vegan)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute the first 4 ingredients for about 7 minutes or until slightly browned. Add the water and "milk" and the bouillon cube, stir, and set aside.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of cornstarch or flour with 3 tablespoons of water. Cook until thickened. Add the remaining ingredients, stir well, and simmer until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, toast, rice or on it's own. :).
I'm not at all a fan of tofu, but just KNEW this would be well received by my son & his wife, & sure enough, it was! They're the ones rating this recipe! I was OK for me, but THEY LOVED IT, so you get 5 stars!! I'd certainly make it again if I had vegetarian guests, to be sure, 'cause if my DIL says it's GREAT, believe me, IT'S GREAT! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's Pick-A-Chef]