Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
OK, I'm vegetarian, but I do occasionally eat dairy & eggs. And I just love cheesecake! In fact, I posted an "ovo-lacto" cheesecake recipe (New York Style Sour-Cream-Topped Cheesecake, New York-Style Sour Cream-Topped Cheesecake). But when the nutrition wizards at RecipeZaar did their calorie/fat count, I fell on the floor! So, here's a vegan variety, made with tofu. It's even sugar free! (I use maple syrup as the sweetener and it comes out really yummy.) The tahini adds a bit of a bitter, "cheesy" tang--you can cut down on the tahini or omit it altogether, if you don't like the taste. I can't wait to see how this compares in the fat/calorie count to that other recipe! (This recipe is adapted from "The Tofu Cookbook" by John Paino and Lisa Messinger.)
- 2 lbs soft tofu
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- 1 cup fresh fruit
- Bake pie crust in oven according to package directions. (I used a whole wheat pie crust, to very good results!).
- To make filling, crumble tofu into blender. Add all remaining ingredients except Fruit Topping; blend well.
- Pour tofu mixture into prepared pie crust, and bake at 350 F for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool first, then add your favorite fruit topping if desired.
very nice, though were I to do it agaun I would prob add more maple syrup (or use grade B) because it almost was not sweet enough, but texture and everything was great