Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Tofu is tasteless but loves to take on the flavors of what it is cooked with. Some people say you have to acquire a taste. This is a well balanced meal in one pot dish.
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups broccoli florets, blanched
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- Saute the mushrooms in the butter with the garlic& onions, stir, cook until the veggies are tender.
- Place rice in the bottomof a shallow 2 quart baking dish.
- Top with mushroom/onion mixture.
- Add Broccoli and tofu.
- Mix the milk with worcestersire, salt, pepper, nutmeg& red pepper flakes, pour evenly over the casserole.
- Top with Cheddar.
- Cover with foil& bake in 350F oven for 1 hour or until the rice is tender.
- Uncover and bake for 5 minutes longer.
This had a wonderful flavor. I used pre-cooked rice, so it didn't take as long. I used almond milk with some veg. broth that I had used to marinate the tofu ahead. I only marinated it as long as it took to cook the mushrooms and onions. Keeping this one.
I have made this many times it is delisious. One thing I would suggest. marinate the tofu in soya sauce or chicken broth to bring out some flavour
Looked beautiful when finished. Took about two hours to bake. The taste was o.k. but I wouldn't make it again.