Recipe by Bergy
Tofu is tasteless but loves to take on the flavors of what it is cooked with. Some people say you have to acquire a taste. This is a well balanced meal in one pot dish.
Top Review by IrishHeart
This had a wonderful flavor. I used pre-cooked rice, so it didn't take as long. I used almond milk with some veg. broth that I had used to marinate the tofu ahead. I only marinated it as long as it took to cook the mushrooms and onions. Keeping this one.
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups broccoli florets, blanched
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 ounces grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the mushrooms in the butter with the garlic& onions, stir, cook until the veggies are tender.
- Place rice in the bottomof a shallow 2 quart baking dish.
- Top with mushroom/onion mixture.
- Add Broccoli and tofu.
- Mix the milk with worcestersire, salt, pepper, nutmeg& red pepper flakes, pour evenly over the casserole.
- Top with Cheddar.
- Cover with foil& bake in 350F oven for 1 hour or until the rice is tender.
- Uncover and bake for 5 minutes longer.