Recipe by Jeri Roth Lande
This is a variation of a recipe I cut out of a newspaper so long ago that it's now yellowed. Quick and easy enough for a weeknight. You can leave out the cheese if you want to make it vegan or add more if you're feeling decadent. Serve with a salad and you have dinner.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup mushroom, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 2 lbs extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 10 burritos or 10 tortillas, soft
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large pot, saute onion in oil a couple minutes.
- Add mushrooms and spices and cook a couple more minutes.
- Then add tofu and cook another 10 minute.
- Drain excess liquid from the pan - this is important to get the right texture.
- Turn off heat and mix in soy sauce, 1 cup of the tomato sauce and the salsa.
- Put some tofu mix down the middle of a burrito, roll it up and put in a large casserole dish. Continue until all the tortillas and tofu have been used.
- Pour the rest of the tomato sauce over the rolled burritos and then sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Bake for 20 minute.