Diane G.'s Note:
this is one I developed over the years. It's mine, not from a book or anything.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 ounces firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons tahini (or peanut butter if you prefer and aren't allergic)
- 1 -3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 large button mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ (if allergic to wheat use corn meal)
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal (if allergic to corn use all wheat germ)
- 2 -3 cups unflavored unsweetened quick-cooking oatmeal (or 'multi-grain' oatmeal)
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1starting out with smallest amounts of oatmeal and tomato paste,mix all ingredients in large bowl.
- 2If allergic to both wheat AND corn then use 3 Tblsp. rice flour instead.
- 3I usually don't add any salt, if you'd like salt now is the time to add it.
- 4mash together with potato masher.
- 5using hands, form'patties' out of mixture to desired size (mixture does not shrink very much).
- 6If mixture seems too dry to you (oatmeal absorbs liquid differently on different days for some reason) add more tomato paste.
- 7If mixture seems too wet to you add a little bit more instant oatmeal (or corn meal if you prefer and it's only a little too wet).
- 8I prefer to bake in oven on lined cookie sheet for 20 min. or so at about 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- 9Can be grilled or fried instead if desired.
- 10Cooking times and temps required vary seemingly depending on humidity also.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tofu Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (792 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 100.8
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 19.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 6.0 g