Recipe by Diane G.
this is one I developed over the years. It's mine, not from a book or anything.
Top Review by Jmommy209
These were a little bit bland to me, but that is probably as a result of the substitutions I made because of what I had on hand. Even so, with some deli mustard, they were great. I really liked how well the burgers held together and the lovely crust they developed while they baked. Next time, I will definitely make sure I have the proper ingredients on hand. I look forward to making them again soon!
- 14 ounces firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons tahini (or peanut butter if you prefer and aren't allergic)
- 1 -3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 large button mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ (if allergic to wheat use corn meal)
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal (if allergic to corn use all wheat germ)
- 2 -3 cups unflavored unsweetened quick-cooking oatmeal (or 'multi-grain' oatmeal)
- 1⁄4 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- starting out with smallest amounts of oatmeal and tomato paste,mix all ingredients in large bowl.
- If allergic to both wheat AND corn then use 3 Tblsp. rice flour instead.
- I usually don't add any salt, if you'd like salt now is the time to add it.
- mash together with potato masher.
- using hands, form'patties' out of mixture to desired size (mixture does not shrink very much).
- If mixture seems too dry to you (oatmeal absorbs liquid differently on different days for some reason) add more tomato paste.
- If mixture seems too wet to you add a little bit more instant oatmeal (or corn meal if you prefer and it's only a little too wet).
- I prefer to bake in oven on lined cookie sheet for 20 min. or so at about 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Can be grilled or fried instead if desired.
- Cooking times and temps required vary seemingly depending on humidity also.