Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe comes from The New McDougall Cookbook. I have added BBQ to the recipe and left out the parsley for personal taste. I am not fully versed yet in the Mcdougall diet so I am unsure if the addition of the BBQ sauce is allowed. It does add a lot of flavour though. The original recipe also called for the burgers to be browned in a 350 oven for 30 minutes flipping at the 20 minute mark. I use a fry pan and lightly spray with pam. Again I am unsure if Pam is allowed on the Mcdougall plan. My 18 year old son loves these burgers and will often take them to school for his lunch. They reheat very well. For a tofu burger they are actually quite good.
- 1 lb tofu, firm
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce (or more, we like honey garlic)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (we like honey mustard)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 tablespoons barbecue sauce (more or less as needed)
- Place all ingredients in the food processor and mix.
- Shape into patties. The original recipe says it will make 8 patties but I usually make 5 or 6.
- Spray a fry pan lightly with Pam and brown one side of the burger. Meanwhile place a little extra BBQ sauce on the top of the burger and spread it around.
- Flip burger and repeat with the BBQ sauce. Brown
- Flip a last time and brown.
- Serve with your favourite toppings.
couldn't decide what to eat for lunch and had tofu in the fridge, whipped this up in minutes and it tastes great! i changed out the seasonings with what i had on hand and used the bbq sauce i had. you can make these to whatever flavor you want. my only regret is that i didn't make a cheese burger this time :) thanks for sharing.