Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
Derived from Robbie Rice's "Hooter's Buffalo Wings". I've been a vegetarian since my early teens, but to this day I still miss BBQ chicken and wings. Well, no longer!
- 12 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Drain the tofu, and then remove excess moisture by cutting it in half lengthwise and microwaving on high, uncovered, for two minutes. Gently squeeze out and wipe off excess moisture, then throw tofu in the freezer for one or two hours before removing to thaw in the fridge -- this will give the tofu a slightly heavier texture.
- Cut tofu into bite-sized pieces and place in a lidded, flat-bottomed dish to marinade. Combine hot sauce, barbecue sauce, black pepper, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Pour half this mixture over the tofu; reserve the other half for later.
- Let tofu sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Drain any excess marinade from tofu into reserved bowl of sauce. Combine flour, salt, cayenne and paprika in a bowl. Coat tofu with flour mixture.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large frying pan. Fry tofu (in batches, if need be) until all sides are golden brown and oil has cooked out. Add remaining sauce mixture to pan, stirring until tofu is well-coated. Serve with ranch or bleu cheese dressing for dipping.
I used honey BBQ sauce and this was delicious! I didn't even bother with dipping sauce. Perfect for the 4th of July holiday and I'm glad I found it in time. Will be making this again soon!
I'm not leaving stars because it may have been my prep, but I didn't care for this at all. This was a barbecue dish first of all, and not a buffalo flavored one. I thought maybe it would be something that it's not because of the name, but I should have gone with my instincts. All the extra seasonings in this just tasted bitter with my barbecue sauce, which was a homemade low carb sauce I have made many times before with good results. Sorry, but I wasn't able to finish this. Next time if I want buffalo tofu I'll just use real buffalo style sauces. Thanks anyway.
Some recipes need practice. This is one of them. We had them with the flour batter, and both of us thought it would have been better to pan fry the strips of tofu without any batter, just the marinade. Next time!