Breakfast becomes a spicy affair with this tasty south-of-the-border treat. Plus, using tofu instead of scrambled eggs cuts down on the caloric value and cholesterol. Created by Harpo Chefs: Seth Roth and Bryan Devlin, the recipe is from Oprah.com.These are really great but they are too spicy for our residents'! When we were making these I forgot to time them - therefore I "guestimated" it.;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons red onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons red peppers, chopped
- 16 ounces soft tofu, drained and cubed (2 blocks)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (a pungent, yellow-orange spice)
- 15 ounces cooked black beans (1 Can)
- 4 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup fat-free cheddar cheese, grated (I prefer regular cheddar cheese)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 4 tablespoons salsa
- 4 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1In a non-stick pan, sauté the red pepper and onion until they turn light brown.
- 2Add the tofu and turmeric (the spice will give the tofu a yellow color).
- 3Break up the tofu cubes by crushing with a fork, and cook for about 40 seconds, or until there is no moisture remaining.
- 4Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- 5Cook the black beans according to the directions, and spoon a portion onto each plate.
- 6Arrange the tortillas on your work surface. Into each, spoon 1/4 of the onion, red pepper and tofu mixture.
- 7Fold the tortilla sides over the filling, and roll them up.
- 8Cut each burrito in half, and place two halves on each plate.
- 9Spoon 1/4 of the diced tomato, salsa and grated cheddar cheese over each burrito, and top with 1 tablespoon of fat-free sour cream. If desired, serve with one link of turkey sausage per burrito.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tofu Breakfast Burrito
Serving Size: 1 (328 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 421.0
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 1.4 mg
- Sodium 577.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 23.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat-free cheddar cheese