Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Vegan version of French classic Beef Bourguignon
- 2 cups cubed firm tofu
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms
- 1 cup shallots or 1 cup pearl onions
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup chopped celery rib
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- vegetable stock
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- salt, pepper
- Start with shallots. Boil them few minutes, then in a sieve drain under cold running water and peel off the skin. Now it comes off much easier than if you tried to do it before boiling.
- In a skillet brown tofu with one Tbsp peanut oil. Stir often to make sure that all sides are nicely brown. Set aside.
- Now saute the onion on the rest of the oil until slightly soft. Add celery and carrot and sweat for a few minute Add tofu, mushrooms, vegetable stock, red wine and mix in some tomato paste. Grate garlic and add to the stew. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and continue cooking for 15 minute.
- After 15 min add shallots and continue cooking for another 15 minute.
- At the end whisk in some cornstarch mixed with cold water and leave simmering for 2-3 min more. Serve with mashed potatoes.
This was super delish. Will make again.
very tasty thanks for the recipe. i am glad i watched your video and asked about the vege stock or it would have been a disaster tho, i would not have planned to use 3c of stock when you just mentioned it in the ingredients... i would def make a again, would be a great cold night dinner :)