Recipe by Kozmic Blues
From my new FAVORITE cookbook: Veganomicon. This is an amazing vegan filling for stuffed shells, manicotti, lasagna or topping pizza or pasta. Simple to make, possibilities are endless!! The best tools for this one are clean hands. They are the most effective for squishing the tofu to "ricotta-like" consistency. The recipe listed below is enough for one(1) layer in a 9x13 lasagna pan. Can be doubled if you like more "cheese" in your lasagna layers.
Top Review by Mgnbos
This is excellent! My box of tofu was roughly 12 ounces but I opted to keep the other ingredients the same and am I very pleased with the results. We both had seconds and I am really looking forward to having this again.
- 1 lb firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped fine
- fresh black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mush the tofu up with your hands, till it's crumbly.
- Add lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper and basil.
- Mush with hands again, this time you want it to get very mushy so squeeze through your fingers and mush until it reaches the consistency of ricotta cheese. May take 2-5 minutes.
- Add olive oil, stir with fork (olive oil is sticky).
- Add nutritional yeast and combine all ingredients well.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.