Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 16 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 8 ounces ziti pasta
- 12 ounces tofu, drained
- 1 egg white
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, cooked,well drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat low-sodium swiss cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare sauce: in medium-size saucepan ove medium-high heat, cook onion and garlic in vegetable oil 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauces, 1 Tablespoon parsley and oregano.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook ziti according to package directions, omitting salt.
- While ziti is cooking, puree tofu with egg white in food processor or blender container.
- Place in large bowl.
- Add spinach, remaining tablespoon parsley, nutmeg and pepper.
- Blend well.
- Drain ziti and add to tofu mixture; blend well.
- Place 1/4 sauce in bottom of 2-quart casserole.
- Add 1/3 tofu-ziti mixture spreading with large spoon or spatula.
- Continue making layers of sauce and tofu-ziti mixture, ending with sauce.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes.
very good recipe. this was my first encounter with tofu and i was very pleased, my husband and i are doing the POWER 90 program and are trying to eat healthy. He even enjoyed it (once he put hot sauce in it, like he does with everything)
When my daughter became a vegetarian, 20 years ago, I found this recipe and it's been a favorite ever since. Everyone loves the flavor and texture and it's loaded with healthy protein.
Very good, and it makes a lot so it is very economic. I am going to make this again with more italian seasoning and I also cheated and used a large jar of premade sauce (but I still sauted the onion and garlic and added that to the premade sauce) and didn't read that I was supposed to use a half package of ziti. I didn't have any eggs on hand so I just added a little oil to the tofu ricotta mixture. I used part-skim mozzarella cheese to top this casserole instead of the swiss. I didn't add the nutmeg to this dish, I don't like nutmeg in anything savory, just sweets. Thanks for sharing!