Top Review by JarrettnGabi's Mom Koch
very good recipe. this was my first encounter with tofu and i was very pleased, my husband and i are doing the POWER 90 program and are trying to eat healthy. He even enjoyed it (once he put hot sauce in it, like he does with everything)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 16 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 8 ounces ziti pasta
- 12 ounces tofu, drained
- 1 egg white
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, cooked,well drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat low-sodium swiss cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare sauce: in medium-size saucepan ove medium-high heat, cook onion and garlic in vegetable oil 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauces, 1 Tablespoon parsley and oregano.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook ziti according to package directions, omitting salt.
- While ziti is cooking, puree tofu with egg white in food processor or blender container.
- Place in large bowl.
- Add spinach, remaining tablespoon parsley, nutmeg and pepper.
- Blend well.
- Drain ziti and add to tofu mixture; blend well.
- Place 1/4 sauce in bottom of 2-quart casserole.
- Add 1/3 tofu-ziti mixture spreading with large spoon or spatula.
- Continue making layers of sauce and tofu-ziti mixture, ending with sauce.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes.