Recipe by Aioli_Queen
This is from Deborah Madisons Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. Baked Tofu smothered with a fragrant stew of summer vegetables and sprinkled with Romano cheese. You can replace the mushrooms with artichoke hearts or asparagus. The sauce MAKES this dish so I often double it:-). It's also great used for pasta salad. This dish can easily be made vegan by omitting the cheese.
For the Stew
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, drained and sliced into 4 steaks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 bell peppers, red, yellow and orange sliced into strips
- 1 cup cremini mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 20 kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, freshly grated
For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tamari
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the tofu on a baking sheet and bake in a 450°F oven for about 20 minutes or until it firms and releases its liquid. Set aside.
- While the tofu is baking prepare the vegetables.
- Warm the olive oil in a large saute pan and add the onions, peppers, garlic, mushrooms and dried herbs. Saute until the onions start turning translucent and the peppers begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the parsley, olives, wine and salt and cook until the vegetables are coated in a syrupy sauce, about 8 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking whisk all the ingredients for the sauce together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place the vegetables in a large casserole dish and wiggle the tofu down into the vegetables. Pour the prepared sauce over the vegetables and tofu and sprinkle with the Romano cheese. Bake in a 400°F oven for about 25 minutes. Serve with rice or noodles and a green salad.