Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From "The Poetical Pursuit of Food,", 1986, by Sonoko Kondo. The tofu makes the cake very moist, similar to a carrot cake.
- 2 cups sifted white flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cake firm tofu, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup peeled and chopped pippin apple (about 1 large apple)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Sift together the flour and baking soda and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the egg, oil, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add tofu and mic until just blended. Fold in flour mixture and toss gently. Add walnuts, apple, and raisins.
- Pour cake mixture into a 9-inch cake pan and bake for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a rack, then turn onto a plate.
- Serve the cake warm or at room temperature.