Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Vegan creamy and savory bread pudding. Better than stuffing with all whole food ingredients.Great for thanksgiving or christmas. From christina cooks series
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 shallots, thinly sliced
- sea salt
- 10 dried shiitake mushrooms (rehydrated, stems removed, sliced)
- 6 ounces oyster mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 10 cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, -minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, -minced
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 loaf whole grain bread, cut into 1 inch cubes (6 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup non-dairy soy cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly oil a 9 inch square glass baking dish.
- Place the oil and shallots and a pinch of salt in a skillet, over medium heat.Sweat the shallots.
- Stir in the shitake mushrooms and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining mushrooms, season with salt and saute until they release their juices to the pan.
- Stir in the basil, parsley and thyme and continue cooking, stirring frequently until the mushrooms are tender and begin to brown.
- Remove from the heat, and set aside.
- Combine the tofu, symilk, in a baking powder in a food processor.
- Season slightly with salt and puree until smooth.
- Transfer to mixing bowl and fold in the bread cubes.
- Stir in the mushroom mixture and spoon evenly into the prepared dish.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and soy cheese together and sprinkle over the top of the bread pudding.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until browned at the edges and set on the counter.
- Allow 15 minutes to set before serving.