Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From SELF magazine. This is credited to Chef Nadine Barner, who supposedly has served these at Gwyneth Paltrow's parties.
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, divided
- 14 ounces firm tofu, frozen and then defrosted (see note below)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 2 small tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup ground walnuts
- 2 teaspoons mellow miso (or more for stronger flavor)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 12 large fresh cremini mushrooms or 12 large white mushrooms, wiped clean, stems removed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- salt and pepper
- Freezing tofu changes texture to a more meaty substance that soaks up flavor. Freeze in plastic wrap, thaw and pat dry with paper towel to remove excess water.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large skillet, sauté onion and garlic in 2 tbsp oil, with a pinch of salt, until tender.
- Crumble tofu over onion and sauté another 5 minutes.
- Add rosemary and tomatoes and cook on low heat about 10 minutes or until mixture is fairly dry.
- Add walnuts, miso, vinegar, tomato paste, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle remaining 2 tbsp oil over mixture.
- Place mushrooms in a baking dish and fill each with about 1 tbsp stuffing, using a spoon and pressing firmly to pack.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Remove and top each with a sprinkle of green onion. Serve warm.