Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping, for Asian forum. From Australian Women's Weekly "Grill: Grill-pan+barbecue". Standing time and refrigeration time have not been included in times.
Top Review by FrVanilla
Very different than any veggie burger I've ever had. Smelled delicious while it was cooking, but I think I would add more spice next time. I enjoyed the zucchini in it. Made for Veg*n Swap 8.
- 10 5⁄8 ounces firm silken tofu (300 g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onions (150 g or 5.25 oz.) or 1 medium yellow onion, chopped finely (150 g or 5.25 oz.)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 small zucchini, grated coarsely (90 g or 3.2 oz.)
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (140 g or 4.9 oz)
- 3⁄4 cup hummus (190 g or 6.7 oz)
- 1⁄4 cup Greek yogurt (70 g or 2.5 oz)
- 1 loaf Turkish bread ((430 g or 15 oz)
- 1⁄3 cup of fresh mint, coarsely choppe
- 1⁄2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly
- 30 g snow pea sprouts, trimmed (1 oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat tofu dry with absorbent paper. Spread tofu, in single layer, on absorbent-paper-lined tray; cover with more paper, stand 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in medium frying pan; cook brown onion and garlic, stirring, until onion softens.
- Add spices; cook, stirring until fragrant.
- Combine onion mixture in large bowl with tofu, zucchini and breadcrumbs; shape into four patties.
- Cover; referigerate 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine hummus and yogurt in small bowl.
- Cut bread into four pieces. Split each piece in half horizontally; toast cut sides in heated oiled grill pan.
- Cook patties in same oiled grill pan until browned both sides and hot.
- Spread bread with hummus mixture; sandwich combined mint, parsley and green onion, patties and sprouts between bread pieces.