Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
This is a tasty stir fry which core when served with brown rice. Add any vegetables that are in season if desired. Note: In response to reviews on this recipe I've made a few adjustments. I hope people will find them to their liking. I've added a sesame oil/soya sauce coating for the tofu. (You may press out excess liquid first) I've also added garlic and ginger to the ingredients. The carrots now have an additional 5 minutes cooking time. I've also removed the tofu once browned to be returned to pan near the end of the total cooking time to prevent overcooking. The prep and cooking time do not include the time to press the tofu as I usually skip that step. Thankyou's go to the chefs who've reviewed this recipe for their critiques. Your input is always welcome.
Top Review by Brooke the Cook in WI
White Rose is right, this is a very basic stir fry, very much on the bland side I'm afraid. Also, I think the method might be a little off - after I browned the tofu (I used 1 teaspoon hot chili sesame oil); I removed it from the pan so that it wouldn't overcook and then added in all the veggies as directed. The green onions and mushrooms ended up very overdone and peppers and carrots were still quite crunchy. I added lots of extra soya sauce to mine, but I just felt that it was missing something. Sorry. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.
- cooking spray (5 second spray)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- 1⁄2 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 4 medium scallions, green and white parts, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup mushroom, diced (any kind of mushroom)
- 3 water chestnuts, sliced
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, keep rice hot
Directions See How It's Made
- Wrap tofu in clean cotton kitchen towel.
- Place heavy weight on top i.e. plate or cutting board weighted with heavy juice can. ( I don't usually bother to press my tofu but doing so should improve the results).
- Set aside for 30 minutes to allow excess water to drain from tofu.
- Dice tofu into 1 inch cubes.
- Combine 1/2 tbsp soy sauce and 1/2 tbsp toasted oil.
- Toss tofu cubes with combined oil.
- Coat a large nonstick wok or frying pan with the cooking spray.
- Place on medium-high heat and add oil.
- Swirl to coat.
- Add tofu and stir-fry until browned on all sides (about 2 to 5 minutes).
- Once browned, remove and set aside.
- Add carrots and stir-fry until almost tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic, ginger, scallions, peppers, mushrooms and water chestnuts.
- Stir-fry until veggies are tender (3 to 5 minutes).
- Return tofu to pan.
- Add soya sauce and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve over the hot rice.