Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Posted in request for vegetarian OAMC recipes.
- 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles, cooked al dente
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 lb medium firm tofu
- 2 bunches fresh spinach (or 10-oz. package frozen spinach)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- To prepare sauce, in large saucepan, combine 1/4 cup water, green pepper, onion and garlic.
- Heat over medium-low heat and simmer until soft, stirring frequently.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in bay leaves, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, tomato paste and water.
- Simmer for 15 minutes to combine flavours, then remove bay leaves.
- To prepare filling, rinse fresh spinach in cold water.
- Cut off thick stems.
- Place in large stockpot.
- Heat covered over high heat, stirring frequently until spinach is soft.
- Drain spinach and squeeze out excess liquid and set aside.
- Drain tofu slightly (don't squeeze out excess water). Place in blender container or food processor. Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape sides of container frequently. Spoon blended tofu into mixing bowl. Add spinach, oregano, basil and oregano and mix well.
- To assemble, spread 1 cup sauce over bottom of 9x13-inch pan.
- Top with 1/3 of the uncooked noodles, then 1 more cup of sauce.
- Spoon the tofu mixture by dollops over top of sauce.
- Add a second layer of noodles, followed by 1 cup sauce, and then spooning in the remaining tofu mixture.
- Add a third layer of noodles, pressing down firmly all over the lasagna. Spoon the remaining sauce over noodles, making sure that the noodles are completely covered with sauce. If preparing to freeze for eating later: wrap, label and freeze.
- To serve: If frozen ahead, thaw completely. Preheat oven to 350°F Bake covered for 40 minutes. Uncover lasagna and continue baking 15 more minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Cut into squares to serve.
This is a great lasagna for a WeightWatcher following the FlexPoint plan. It's 5 pts per serving. The pasta sauce was delicious, and I like using the no-boil lasagna noodle sheets. Cautions & recommendations: I could not find "medium" tofu and used "firm" instead. That was a mistake I won't repeat, since I think it made the dish too dry. Also, I think I will boost the quantity of pasta sauce next time and add more chopped veges.