Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I don't know where I found this recipe but it is fast and easy to do. Everyone who tasted it so far, never could have guessed that tofu was involved.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (grain bread or whole wheat bread)
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce or 3 tablespoons regular soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons stone ground mustard or 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- barbecue sauce or ketchup, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, combine the brown rice, bread crumbs, walnuts, onion, celery, and carrot.
- Puree the tofu in a food processor or mash by hand until very smooth.
- Add to the rice mixture along with the barbecue sauce, soy sauce, mustard, and black pepper.
- Stir with a large spoon or knead mixture by hand until it is well mixed and holds together, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to an oil-sprayed 5- x 9-inch loaf pan or other baking dish and distribute evenly using a spoon, spatula, or your hand.
- Top with barbecue sauce or ketchup.
- Bake 60 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This is a really good basic recipe. I love all the healthy components! Next time I would like to add another layer of flavor...maybe a packet of onion soup mix or something else with a lot of flavor. Served this with cole slaw and DH wanted them both on a roll with some BBQ sauce! Thanks for the great recipe Chef Rainbow50....
This recipe was excellent. The best tofu loaf I've made yet. Very nutritious and tasty. Thanks for sharing.
I am not a vegitarian but do eat a lot of vegitarian food. This was great. I put in into two small loaf pans. One is in the freezer the other half consumed. . . to be finished tonight!! Good dish. Thanks Chef Rainbow50