Recipe by Chef Rainbow50
I don't know where I found this recipe but it is fast and easy to do. Everyone who tasted it so far, never could have guessed that tofu was involved.
Top Review by jennyblender
This is a really good basic recipe. I love all the healthy components! Next time I would like to add another layer of flavor...maybe a packet of onion soup mix or something else with a lot of flavor. Served this with cole slaw and DH wanted them both on a roll with some BBQ sauce! Thanks for the great recipe Chef Rainbow50....
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (grain bread or whole wheat bread)
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce or 3 tablespoons regular soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons stone ground mustard or 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- barbecue sauce or ketchup, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, combine the brown rice, bread crumbs, walnuts, onion, celery, and carrot.
- Puree the tofu in a food processor or mash by hand until very smooth.
- Add to the rice mixture along with the barbecue sauce, soy sauce, mustard, and black pepper.
- Stir with a large spoon or knead mixture by hand until it is well mixed and holds together, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to an oil-sprayed 5- x 9-inch loaf pan or other baking dish and distribute evenly using a spoon, spatula, or your hand.
- Top with barbecue sauce or ketchup.
- Bake 60 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.