Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
A student from Hong Kong showed me this recipe. She used about 1/2lb of ground beef. Since I am cutting way back on my meat intake I use 1/4lb meat and make very small meatballs. Prep time includes draining time.
- 1⁄2 lb silken tofu, bite-sized cubes, drained in colander at least two hrs.- up to over night
- 1⁄4 lb lean ground beef (can use turkey,but different taste)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 small head iceberg lettuce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon msg (I do not use this)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Soak green onions in enough boiling water to just cover. Set aside.
- Mix meat,cornstarch,salt and MSG in bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp water from green onions.
- Drain green onions and add to meat mixture.
- Add tofu and combine.
- Make 15 to 18 meatballs( if too wet add 1/2tsp cornstarch and let sit for 15 minutes).
- Heat broth to rolling boil, add meatballs, lower heat to simmer.
- Simmer until meatballs rise to surface.
- Arrange lettuce strips in soup bowls, sprinkle with pepper and ladle very hot soup into bowls.