Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Based on this recipe: http://justonecookbook.com/recipes/chicken-meatballs/ The tofu makes these meatballs light and fluffy.
- 9 ounces ground chicken
- 5 ounces medium firm tofu (about 1/3 of 14-oz. package, wrap in paper towel for 15 minutes to drain)
- 1 sweet bell pepper, minced (3 oz, 87 g, red is nice, but any color is fine)
- 1 green onions or 1 scallion, minced
- 1 inch ginger (if using a tube, otherwise about 1 tsp. grated ginger)
- 1 egg
- 3 dashes salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
Teriyaki Sauce (can double if desired)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch (potato starch is fine, too)
- Whisk together the teriyaki sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Combine ground chicken, sweet bell peppers, green onion and drained tofu (broken into small pieces) and, once blended, mix in the egg, grated ginger, salt and pepper.
- Form into small balls (just a bit smaller than a ping pong ball - you should get about 20).
- Heat the oil and add the meatballs, leaving some space between them (in two batches if necessary). Cook until browned on one side (about 3 minutes) and then flip over until cooked through.
- With all of the meatballs (back) in the pan, add the sauce and cook until the sauce thickens. Carefully mixing so that the meatballs are covered with the sauce.