Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Interesting and flavorful take on french toast. Perfect for entertaining anyone's palate and a great option for a vegetarian/vegan breakfast. The almonds add a great touch and merge well with the maple syrup. Very pretty dish!! I've adapted this recipe with my dietary restrictions in mind so this is great for renal patients, diabetics and is heart-friendly!! You should probably omit the almonds if you're on dialysis though, unless you're cheating on your diet. ;D
- 8 ounces soft silken tofu
- 3⁄4 cup non-dairy coffee creamer (To make this recipe vegan, make sure creamer does not contain casein, a milk derivative.)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 1⁄2 lb Italian bread, sliced
- Combine soft tofu, creamer, maple syrup, vanilla and almond extracts and whip together.
- Add spices and salt to the tofu mixture and stir in gently until just incorporated.
- Heat a frying pan on medium-high, adding a little oil to keep French toast from sticking.
- Dip the bread in the tofu mixture until well-coated and in the hot pan.
- Cook for a few minutes on each side until lightly browned.
- Serve with a sprinkling of slivered almonds on top.