Recipe by Pneuma
a cheaper alternative than buying it from the groceries. Got this from watching happyingodslove's video. Preparation time does not include overnight soaking. Serving size is a guess.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this specifically for a couple of vegetarians that I know (NOT my son & DIL, who, I'm sure would have enjoyed it!). I can only go by the reactions of my friends, who have so many ways of using it! They were overjoyed that it was homemade, & within a day had made several of their favorite dishes using it! So, I'm passing on to you THEIR praise of your recipe! Thanks for sharing! [Made & reviewed as a kidnapped recipe in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #16]
- 600 g soybeans
- 4 1⁄4 liters water
- 1 cup lemon juice, or 20 g calcium sulfate
- cheesecloth, and containers, molder
Directions See How It's Made
- cleanse the soybeans and soak in water 8hrs or overnight.
- process the soaked soybeans in a blender in several portions with 4.2 liters water.
- filter milk from the soy with cheesecloth.
- cook soymilk for 10mins over medium heat until the fragrance of the soymilk is noticeable, keep stirring while cooking.
- turn to low heat and continue cooking until boiling.
- measure the temp of soymilk. the ideal temp is 84 deg Celsius if calcium sulfate or 40 degree Celsius if lemon is used as coagulator.
- use 20 g calcium sulfate mixed with 1 cup water or use 1 cup lemon juice (without water), as coagulator.
- mix water and calcium sulfate evenly.
- pour the coagulator into a container and shake well.
- hold the soymilk 60cm (24") above the coagulator and quickly pour into the container.
- do not move or shake the container and let the mixture set for 5 mins until the soya pudding is set.
- cover the mold with a big piece of cheesecloth. The mold has to have the ability to drain water.
- gently break the soya pudding into pieces and put into the cheescloth in the mold.
- cover with the cheesecloth.
- close up the mold and put the heavy object on top of the mold.
- leave the weight on for 25 mins for soft tofu, 30 mins for medium soft tofu, or 35 mins for hard tofu.
- when the tofu is ready, invert and remove the mold, slowly peeling away the cheesecloth until the tofu is shown.