Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Chicken salad sandwiches are a classic summer lunch and I wanted to create a good vegetarian replacement. The Dijon mustard is mandatory as it really makes this salad shine, and I really recommend using the freshest produce & herbs here. Terrific on whole wheat toast and would make a great salad melt topped with cheddar or American and broiled till oozey! Find spiced dry tofu in an Asian grocery or now in Trader Joe's. It is very dense and firm, much more so than water packed tofu, and usually comes vacuum sealed in the refrigerated section. Select the plainest flavor you can find, or use your imagination with flavored tofus...
- 10 ounces dry spiced tofu, shredded
- 3 stalks celery, chopped (with some leaves)
- 3 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 medium carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup 1% fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Braggs liquid aminos or 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise (optional)
- Shred the spiced dry tofu on the large holes of a box grater and place in a large bowl.
- Add the shredded carrots, diced onions, and chopped celery and parsley, toss to combine.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well with a silicone spatula.
- Refrigerate an hour or overnight for best flavor, (I couldn't wait -- ).
- Alternatively, for a smoother appearance, you can put the cottage cheese, yogurt, Dijon, Bragg's/soy sauce and mayo into a blender and blend till very smooth and then add to tofu mixture.