Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adapted from a Betty Crocker recipe -- I made it last night for a brunch today, and it was heavenly. I used a pound cake from the store bakery, Kahlua (TM), Hersey's Special Dark syrup (TM) and 2 Heath (TM) bars. The original recipe called for a full cup of sugar, but 1/2 cup was plenty. Because the filling does not contain gelatin to stabilize it, the dessert needs to be eaten within 12 hours of making it or it will "weep". "Cooking" time is chilling time
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) poundcake (thaw if frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup strong coffee (espresso is best)
- 1⁄4 cup coffee-flavored liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup chocolate syrup
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3 ounces chocolate-covered english toffee bars, chopped fairly fine
- Lightly butter a 9x13-inch pan (bottom only) (use butter or margarine, NOT oil).
- Mix coffee, liqueur, and vanilla.
- Slice cake into 9 slices, and lay the slices down in the pan in one layer. (You may have to cut slices to fit pan).
- Drizzle the coffee mixture evenly over the cake and set aside.
- Beat sugar, cream cheese and chocolate syrup on medium until it is very smooth. Add whipping cream and continue beating until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over cake, and sprinkle candy over the top.
- Refrigerate, covered, for at least one hour. Best if eaten in one day.