Recipe by Desree42
This is a great recipe from my favorite author Terry Pratchett. Apparently it's a darwf specialty - thankfully this contains the squeak but not the meat if you know what I mean...
Top Review by Julie3551
These were great! I substituted peanut butter fudge for the marzipan to save money. I also neglected to glaze them with the melted sugar. Didn't matter at all, everyone loved them!
- 500 g white marzipan
- 1 strawberry licorice bootlace (twizzler)
- 6 ounces toffee icing
- 16 ounces chocolate sprinkles
- 1⁄4 cup black icing
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- You will also need: brown thread (for non-edible whiskers- optional) and 4 toffee apple sticks.
- Break the Marzipan into 4 equal pieces and shape into rats.
- Trim the bootlace to size and insert appropriately for tails.
- Coat the bodies with a thin layer of toffee spread and roll them in the chocolate sprinkles to give the effect of fur.
- Use a small blob of icing for the eyes.
- If doing whiskers cut a few 5 cm lengths of thread and 'sew' them through the nose.
- Gently push a stick up each-- er, rat, making sure it is secure.
- It's all a bit dreadful, isn't it?.
- Bust still much better than using a real rat.
- In a heavy bottoms pan dissolve the sugar in the water and cook over a medium heat until it's golden brown (warning this gets very hot so be careful!).
- When it's ready turn off the heat and quickly coat each rat in it- do NOT use a pastry brush as it will melt!
- Place the rats in a cool dry place to set.