Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
A Donna Hay recipe
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 20 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup pouring cream
- 1 cup mixed nuts like almonds, walnuts and pecans
- Place sugar and water In small pot over medium heat.
- Stir to dissolve sugar, bring to the boil.
- Cook 8 - 10 minutes or till dark golden.
- Remove from heat, carefully add butter and cream.
- Stir to combine.
- Add nuts and stir.
- Spoon immediately over a pound cake and serve.
Not sure if I did something wrong, but these didn't turn out at all like I'd hoped. I was looking for a crunchy hard coating on the nuts--what I got was a runny caramel sauce with big lump of chewy crystals. The part of the instructions where it says "spoon over pound cake" makes me think maybe it was supposed to be a sauce--but that still doesn't explain the hard, chewy blob. Still, I'm not giving it a star rating because the problem may have been either my incorrect expectations or my incorrect technique.
Make my Recipe Holiday Tag 2009: This were a hit for Christmas!! I loved them Kate - I will make them again for New Year's Eve!