Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Our daughter, Susann found this in Taste of Home,and now makes it for every celebration. Unbelievably rich and good. She is such a good cook anyway.LOL
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 2⁄3 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 1/2 Tbs. vinegar in a cup of milk)
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 2 cups whipping cream (1 pint)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 6 (1 1/2 ounce) Heath candy bars, crushed,divided
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda,salt Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Dissolve coffee in water;add to batter.
- Beat for two minutes.
- Pour into 3 greased and floured 9" round pans.
- Bake at 350 for 16-20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for ten minutes Remove from pans to wire rack to cool completely.
- FOR TOPPING: dissolve coffee in water in a mixing bowl;cool.
- Add cream and brown sugar.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place cake on a serving plate;top with 1/3 of topping.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 of crushed candy.
- Repeat twice.
- Let sit in refrigerator at least twelve hours.
I just made this cake for a birthday party and everyone who tasted it thought it was delicious! I found that it was very easy to make, yet it looked very pretty! It is also a very filling cake! Thank-you!
I'm the Susann my mom is referring to above. You absolutely can cheat by using a boxed chocolate cake or a brownie mix. However, the texture and flavor or the original recipe cannot be duplicated. This mixes easily and quickly as well. I have four boys running around my house, and this cake mixes fast enough that I don't have to worry about what they're doing in the other room for long. If you're looking for a show stopper dessert to impress your guests, this is definitely the one to make!!! I cannot go to a function without bringing one with me. One recommendation: Make it a day before you need it, and leave it in the fridge. You'll find the whipped cream firms up nicely, and the taste on the cake is enhanced 100%.